I thought I hated sushi for years but what I really couldn’t stand was the seaweed. I know how healthy seaweed is, yadda, yadda, but the taste is so unappetizing to me that I can’t get past it. Thank goodness for my girlfriend who introduced me to soy paper as a replacement for seaweed. My life changed for the better as sushi is now on my FODMAP foods list and I eat it all the time. I’m still slowly warming up to raw sushi but my go to roll for now is the California roll (as long as it’s the real deal).
This is a perfect time to talk about imitation crab or otherwise known as Koni or crab sticks. It is made with fillers like gluten, flavoring, and color to mimic the texture of the real crab. If that doesn’t gross you out, the amount of salt in it should. No judgment if you want to keep eating it but I think it’s important to be educated on what you’re putting into your body. It can be confusing so I always ask if the California roll is real crab and if not I pay the few extra bucks to know what I am eating. Want to read more? Click here.
This recipe is a deconstructed version of the California roll but in more of an appetizer or light dinner form. There are so many fun versions of this you could make like using salmon, shredded chicken or shrimp. Pair it with this Asian cucumber salad for a delicious meal!Print
There is nothing like a tower with seafood and fresh flavors!
- Cook rice according to package and once done add the rice vinegar. Stir rice and let cool before using.
- Using a flat surface like a cutting board, start the layering process using either a circular tube (mine is from Sur la Tab) or 1 cup dry measuring cup. Begin with an even layer of cucumbers, followed by mashed avocado, crab meat and ending with about 1/3 cup rice (note: it helps to use a spoon to press the rice firmly down).
- Carefully turn upside down onto a plate and lightly tap onto the plate to release the tower.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Optional: garnish with tamari sauce and sriracha mayo.
Recipe adapted by Skinny Taste
Keywords: crab tower, crab tower recipe, fodmap crab recipe