My all time favorite hot drink is so simple and gentle on the stomach: hot water, lemon, ginger and fresh mint. The other day, I was sipping on this relaxing drink and found myself thinking that these same flavors would perfect in a cookie. A lot of times with my tummy issues, I want a comforting carbohydrate like toast, rice, pasta and yes, even a cookie! These gingersnap cookies are not only delicious but make for awesome FODMAP cookies any day of the week!
I was curious to learn more about the benefits of lemon and ginger as I’ve always been a huge advocate to adding to drinks.
Some of my favorite benefits are:
Most obviously, ginger is effective with soothing nausea & eliminating vomiting.
Ginger also helps eliminate bacterial pathogens that attack the stomach
Lemon helps reduce indigestion & heartburn
Improving concentration and cognition
Soothing the nervous system & improving mood
Improves skin health
Ginger helps stimulate the metabolism & help reduce feelings of hunger
Help boost immune systemPrint
These delicious and chewy cookies are packed with flavor!
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup cane sugar, divided in half
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
2 tbsp lemon zest
1 whole lemon, juiced
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 cups Gluten Free Flour (I prefer Namaste all-purpose flour or Bob Red Mills)
2 tbsp fresh mint, gently chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars (1/2 cup cane sugar & 1/2 cup brown sugar) on medium speed.
- Add the molasses, eggs lemon zest and lemon juice on low until combined.
- Add ginger, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda and slowly add the flour until incorporated.
On low speed, add the mint to the batter.
- Add the other 1/2 cup of sugar into a hollow bowl and roll 1-inch cookie balls into the sugar.
Place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet with room for the cookies to spread while baking.
- Bake for 13 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe inspired by Bobs Red Mill Kid Approved Gingersnap Cookies
Keywords: cookie recipe, fodmap cookies, gluten-free cookies, fodmap desserts