I ABSOLUTELY love scallops now but for years I was scared to try this delicious mollusk as my mom was allergic. In my head I translated that to me needing to avoid scallops as well. As I think out loud of the thought process I had I realize just how ridiculous this sounds as my Mom’s allergies do not translate to me. #I’mweird. Not only are scallops a super quick and easy protein to prepare and cook but they also make for great FODMAP dinner recipes. Did you know scallops are extremely high in protein and also a great source of magnesium and potassium? I had no idea!
The first time I tasted a scallop was with my best friend at a gala and she convinced me to eat it. The subtle but sweet taste from the scallop was unlike any other taste I had experienced. Texture wise I can be weird with but I found it to be firm and not chewy. I could not believe I had been missing out my whole life on these gems. I also realized pretty quickly that my new found scallop obsession would be hard to maintain on a restaurant level as they are so expensive. Hence where the recipe version comes into play! These are still an expensive dinner treat but much more reasonable buying at a local fish market or grocery store and preparing yourself.
P.S. does anyone else think of the movie Hitch when you think of food allergies? The scene with Will Smith having a crazy allergic reaction and having to run to get Bendryl at the store is exactly what my Mom described happening to her on a date.Print
- Lemon Basmati Rice
- 1.5 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 pounds of large sea scallops
- 1/2 sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of dried basil
- 1/4 tsp of dried parsley
- A fresh squeeze of lemon juice
- Cook rice per recipe instructions and set aside.
- Rinse and pat scallops dry with a paper towel. Season with salt.
- Melt butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Once butter has melted, add the scallops and dried herbs and cook on one side for 2 minutes, gently flip. Spoon excess butter from the pan onto the tops of the scallops and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and squeeze lemon juice over the scallops.
Keywords: FODMAP dinner, scallops, seafood recipes, FODMAP dinner recipes