Some could say I’m going through a “nesting” period or others could say I’m trying to manage my anxiety of this HUGE life changing event of having a baby. Baking has always been a therapeutic for me and one of my favorite things to bake are FODMAP safe cookies. I keep reading about lactation teas, cookies, brownies, smoothies, etc that are supposed to be helpful with boosting milk supply. I wanted to find recipes for FODMAP safe cookies and since I was unable to fully confirm if Brewer’s yeast was safe, I went without it. The oats and flaxseed used in this recipe are both important ingredients for different reasons. The oats are high in fiber, iron, protein and complex carbohydrates. The flaxseed has good fats and enzymes which helps increase the content of breast milk. Don’t worry a normal person can eat these cookies without lactating but it has the extra boost of ingredients to help promote a fuller milk supply for the mom. YAY!
In case you are curious, according to the American Pregnancy Association, “nesting is described as an urge to clean and organize is known as nesting. Nesting during pregnancy is the overwhelming desire to get your home ready for your new baby. The nesting instinct is strongest in the later weeks coming up on delivery. It is an old wives’ tale that once nesting urges begin, labor is about to come on.” Come to think of it, I think my husband has been nesting since
Cookies using flax seed and oats to promote an increase of a mom’s breast milk. Also, delicious for anyone craving a cookie!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, add the dry ingredients: oat flour, oats, baking soda, flax seeds, and salt.
- Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla until combined.
- Reduce speed to low and add the chocolate chips.
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, scoop the cookie dough into rows of three and gently flatten the tops.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until golden brown.
Keywords: lactation cookies, gluten-free cookies, fodmap safe cookies, oatmeal cookie recipes, fodmap dessert recipes, pregnancy recipes, post part