I have a bone to pick with the majority of Chinese restaurants. If you look up the nutritional values of some of your favorite dishes, you will be blown away by how much sodium is in these foods. The added salt, possible MSG, high-sodium soy sauces are all big factors and definitely NOT low FODMAP foods. Who wants to feel swollen, sluggish and bloated after eating?!? I know not me!
I was shocked to read sodium facts regarding Chinese restaurants. According to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration, high-sodium food is defined as containing more than 480 milligrams of sodium per serving. It is recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans to not consume more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium daily. On average, a cup of wonton soup has 905 milligrams of sodium and one order of General Tso’s chicken has 2,327 milligrams of sodium. Is that not INSANE?!?!
This version of chicken lettuce wraps will leave you full and satisfied without the high-sodium side effects by not adding salt, using low-sodium soy sauce and using fresh ingredients. This guilty pleasure will no longer be so guilty. I refuse to not eat some of my favorite foods but instead my goal is to make healthier and just as satisfying versions! What about you?! Looking for more Asian inspired recipes? Check out Asian green beans, ground turkey & vegetable stir fry & Thai basil tofu and vegetables.Print
A delicious FODMAP safe main meal or appetizer!
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Pound Ground Chicken
- 1/4 Cup Green Onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Tamari(or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 1/4 Cup Hoisin Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Ginger, fresh or pickled
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Sauce
- 1 8 Ounce Can Sliced Water Chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- Half a Lime, juiced
- Basil & Cilantro for Garnish
- Butter Lettuce
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the sesame oil on medium-high heat. Add the ground chicken and cook until cooked through.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Remove from heat and serve on butter lettuce (or rice).
Recipe adapted by the36thavenue
Keywords: fodmap chicken lettuce wraps, chicken lettuce recipes, fodmap chicken recipes