Do you remember those old school taco salads that came in a fried taco shell on the menu of most Mexican restaurants? The traditional version usually has iceberg lettuce, shredded cheese, a handful of tomatoes, sour cream, guacamole and ground beef. There is very little about this dish that is healthy and definitely not FODMAP safe. I knew I could make a low FODMAP dinner version of this classic salad that was just as delicious but not as heavy.
Let’s talk about pre-made taco seasoning packets – just say NO! Not only do these typically have garlic and onion but they also have other yucky fillers and preservatives. I am obsessed with Fody Foods Taco Seasoning blend.
Being a Texan usually means the following stereotypes :
A) Own a horse
B) Love Tex/Mex
C) Own a gun
I hate to break it to you but for me the answer is D) – none of the above.
I have a love/hate relationship with Mexican food. I used to think I hated Mexican food but it was more the “Tex/Mex” that hated my stomach. The greasy cheesy foods did a number on my stomach. Whenever we travel to Mexico, I have the easiest time on the FODMAP diet as corn tortillas are prevalent, seafood is made fresh and substitutions are not an issue. Finding a low FODMAP dinner option is not a problem.Print
A perfect “taco Tuesday” recipe to add to the weekly dinner rotation.
- 1 package of ground turkey
- 1.5 tbsp Fody Foods taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup orange or red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup jicama, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- Corn tortilla chips (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/8 of whole avocado
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Heat a large pan on medium heat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a large wooden or plastic spoon, break apart the ground turkey and continue to brown until cooked all the way through.
- While turkey is cooking, add the taco seasoning and water. Turn down heat if needed.
- While the ground turkey is cooking, prepare the salad dressing.
- Add all of the salad dressing ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulsate for 10-15 seconds.
- Pour salad dressing over salad ingredients and ground turkey.
Keywords: taco salad; tacos; fodmap recipes; fodmap dinner