There is nothing better than a warm homemade corn tortilla plus it helps that they make for a naturally low FODMAP food. I know you’re probably thinking: “no way will I try this recipe as it sounds like a pain in the ass.” But let me stop you by saying it is actually super easy and only uses a few ingredients. Once you see how easy homemade corn tortillas are to make, I promise you will never want to buy store bought ones again. The store bought tortillas have a ton of preservatives and have a funky texture and aftertaste. The lightness and airiness of the homemade version is well worth it. I haven’t even mentioned the cost effectiveness of it! A big package of masa is super inexpensive and lasts forever!! You will get your money’s worth, I promise.
High in Calcium
High in Protein
Good Amount of B12, Magnesium, and Potassium
Low in Sodium
There is nothing like a fresh homemade corn tortilla!
- 2 Cups Masa Harina
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Hot Tap Water
- Tortilla Press
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Once dough is cool enough to the touch, knead the dough for approximately 2 minutes. The dough should be smooth and and no longer sticky.
- Cover with a towel for 15 minutes in order to let dough rest.
- Using a tortilla press, take a walnut size portion of the dough and lightly press down. **tip: cut open a ziploc bag and tape onto the tortilla press. This will make clean up a breeze**
- Using a skillet on medium high heat, place tortilla & heat on both sides for 1.5 minutes each. Make sure to cover tortillas with paper towels in order to keep warm.
Keywords: corn tortillas; gluten-free tortillas; fodmap recipe