I never think to make potatoes on a regular basis (I really should!) but during the holiday’s smashed potatoes are a perfect low FODMAP side dish. I love how easy these are to make and the presentation is so pretty. Plus you can top some of the potatoes with cheese without having to worry about it getting into your dairy-free portion. This FODMAP smashed potatoes will surely be a hit!
Potatoes get a bad rap for being unhealthy but if you think about it, it’s really all in the way it’s prepared. Anything can be unhealthy if it’s fried, yes even that fried tomato went from healthy (tomato) to unhealthy real fast! Potatoes have been a staple for most of the world for thousands of years due to all the nutritional benefits they pack. The skin of the potato is where most of the nutrition is housed so it’s important to eat that part too!
Some of my favorite health benefits include:
Promote Weight Gain
Easy to digest (i.e. stomach safe)
Lower Blood PressurePrint
An addicting side dish that compliments any meal!
- 2 Pounds of Golden Potatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt & Pepper for taste
- Fresh Herbs like Rosemary and Sage, optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a pot of salted, boiling water, add potatoes and cook until tender (approximately 25 minutes for 4-6 potatoes).
- Place potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Using a potato masher or bottom of a cup, gently smash potatoes in both directions.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs to each potato.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on the top.
Keywords: potatoes, side dish, fodmap side dish