A naturally flourless chocolate cake recipe with a delicious strawberry sauce. This strawberry sauce is delicious over waffles and pancakes too.
- 6 Ounces Dark Chocolate, chopped
- 8 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, chopped (plus additional for greasing)
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 Cup White Sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened High-Quality Cocoa Powder, sifted
- Strawberry Sauce Ingredients:
- 4 Cups Frozen Strawberries (if using fresh strawberries, add 1/4 cup water to the sauce)
- 1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9 inch round baking dish, line the dish with parchment paper and butter on top of the paper again. (trust me this prevents the cake from sticking).
- Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate and butter until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the two egg whites on medium-high speed until soft peaks form (this takes a few minutes to achieve). Slowly add the sugar until combined.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk the three whole eggs and cocoa powder until just combined. Add the melted chocolate/butter mixture to the bowl and mix until combined. Fold in the egg white/sugar into the batter until just combined, making sure not to overdue.
- Pour the batter into the parchment lined pan and bake for 30 minutes, rotating once halfway through.
- The cake is ready once it is set in the center and begins to pull away from the side. Let cake cool completely before removing from pan.
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Using a spatula spoon, break up the strawberries into smaller pieces and stir constantly until sauce begins to bubble and thicken.
- Remove from heat and cool before serving.
The sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Recipe adapted by Gluten Free On A Shoestring
Keywords: chocolate cake, gluten-free dessert, low fodmap dessert